Thursday, January 5, 2017




Chewing Gum



“Flattery is like chewing gum,

Enjoy it, but don’t swallow it.”

-Hank Ketcham



You are as a piece of gum,

you start out tasty and sweet.

But as you continue to behave the same

your value becomes, as stale as defeat.



However, you are not valued personally,

you will always be taken for granted.

Despite only trying to be there for comfort,

you only turn out, to be something forgotten.



It is possible for you to be as a gift,

to bring about another one’s smile.

But in reality, and in the end,

you are just something thrown away.



Your ways are not everlasting,

your life’s fruits are superficial.

It’s not so much your fault,

your purpose here is very clear.



You are what gets us through the day,

what we sometimes need to rely on.

But sometimes that’s all you do,

you’re not anything greater.



You are what we desire at first,

and what we don’t desire after.

You are a toy, a small child’s toy,

You are once loved, but then always forgotten.



You are chewing gum, it’s just who you are,

nobody cares of you out in the end.

it’s just funny how, what’s once loved so dear

can be so lost in time, and made out unclear.
Image result for Extra spearmint chewing gum

8 comments:

  1. I loved the out look on this, and how brutally honest it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the cynical tone of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was so deep, and it is even more deep when I can relate to this totally. I have some people in my life who are like this, and as mean as this poem may sound, I sometimes want to say this to them. Nice job, very deep meaning behind that all. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this comparison; you could really shape a character out of this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked the quote you used, and I really liked this piece. It's a little harsh, but it's honest, and I appreciate that. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I am in love with this! So perfectly said. It's kind of depressing, but totally true, that we can want something or somebody so badly, but we eventually lose that desire and love for them, and eventually just toss them aside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVEthis. i really enjoyed the symbolism

    ReplyDelete